The Power of a Compelling Outcome
Do you feel that you lack discipline and grit? It’s more likely you’re suffering from a lack of motivation.
When you don’t have a vision for the future that excites and motivates you, it’s very challenging to keep putting in the time and effort necessary to accomplish a big goal. Without a compelling future, each step forward can feel like torture.
You can create a highway to your dreams by having a clear and compelling outcome in mind. Whenever your motivation is lagging, you can return to that picture.
Use these strategies to maintain a compelling outcome and change your life for the better:
1. Have a compelling outcome for every goal. Sit down and make a list of all of your goals. It’s important to have a compelling outcome for each goal. Make your outcome as appealing as possible while still being realistic. Focus on what you will feel and experience when you accomplish that goal.
For example, pretend that you have a goal of losing 25 pounds. What will you experience when you complete that goal? You might imagine looking at yourself in the mirror and admiring your new body.
You might also imagine wearing a smaller size, fitting into clothes you used to wear before you gained weight, and receiving compliments from others. You could also imagine feeling pride that you were able to accomplish this goal.
2. A compelling outcome should include all of your senses. What will you see, hear, feel, smell, and think when you accomplish your goal? What is the air temperature in your surroundings? Who will be there? Fill in every possible detail and it will be more realistic to your brain. Make it a complete experience.
Your compelling outcome will improve over time. You’re unlikely to get it perfect after the first attempt. Keep adding details and changing things around until you find the perfect version.
3. A compelling outcome should be revisited at least once each day. Be sure to spend a few minutes visualizing this compelling outcome each day. Even better would be two or more times each day. Keep it fresh in your mind.
4. When you’re feeling stuck, relax, and return to your compelling outcome. Your compelling outcome is a tool to be used whenever necessary. If you’re having a hard time motivating yourself to do something, use your compelling future to provide a boost of motivation.
5. When faced with decisions in your life, remember your compelling outcomes. It’s much easier to make choices when you remember what you’re trying to accomplish. Imagine that you’re a writer with a goal of writing the world’s greatest novel, and you’re not sure if you should buy House A or House B.
It’s as simple as asking yourself which living situation will make it more likely for you to reach your compelling outcome.
The right decision becomes much clearer when you have a compelling outcome to serve as a guide. When you aren’t clear on what you’re trying to accomplish, how can you make an effective decision?
Compelling outcomes are like a guiding star and a source of motivation that are always available. Our minds work in pictures, so have a clear and exciting vision for your future. Creating a vision of a compelling outcome also forces you to clearly define what you desire for your life. Many people are foggy about their desired outcome.
Without a compelling vision for your future, you’re standing still. Define what you want for your life. Ensure that it’s motivating and use it to your advantage each day. What do you want your future to look like?
Thank you for reading our blog!
- Mike Acker
Check out my new book on Public Speaking: Speak with Confidence, published by WILEY.
A breakthrough to develop confidence in speaking, leadership, and life. A follow-up book to my best-selling book, Speak with No Fear