Everyone understands that goals are important to success, but there are still relatively few people that actually set goals regularly and commit to them.
Part of the challenge is not understanding the main categories of goals. There are several areas of life that have a great impact on the rest of your life. It’s important to have suitable goals in each of these areas to have a fulfilling life.
Consider these six critical areas:
1. Financial. Financial issues are a major source of stress. This is hardly news to most of us. Financial success opens endless opportunities and can also free up a lot of time,especially if you reach the point where you don’t have to work any longer.
Many people are uncomfortable with the idea of becoming wealthy. They have pangs of guilt over having too much. However, it’s difficult to truly be free unless you’re financially secure.
Given the importance of money in modern society, it’s important for everyone to have goals related to this topic.
2. Career. Most of us spend 40+ hours each week at a job of some sort. It’s a huge part of our waking hours. When you include getting ready for work, driving there and back, and all the time you spend outside of work thinking about work, it’s a lot of hours.
3. Adventure. Down deep, we all admire those people that visit the pyramids of Egypt, try whitewater rafting, or go to Africa on a safari. Taking part in adventurous activities gives you a new perspective on life. It also makes you really interesting to others!
4. Self-Development. We’re happiest when we’re growing in some way. It’s disappointing to take a hard look at yourself and realize that you haven’t changed significantly in the last 5+ years. We feel proud of ourselves when we become more developed and capable. There are a variety of ways to do this.
5. Health. If your health fails you, there’s not much else that matters. Most people that set goals fail to include a health goal of some sort. This is a mistake.
6. Relationships. What kinds of relationships are you building? What do you want your friend life and romance life to look like? These are areas to consider as you plan out your life. For this purpose I created a relational framework I use when working with clients. It maps out their relational life and turns subjective thougths to objective standing. Ultimately, the purpose is to plan out goals for relational growth. However you about doing it doesn’t matter. What matters is that you have a goal for your relationships.
7. Long-term. We often make the mistake of only setting short-term goals to get out of the discomfort we’re currently feeling. It might be to come up with an extra $500 this month or to lose 15 pounds.
How many goals do you have? Do you have the six main types of goals covered? What other categories can you think of that are important to you? Consider what’s most important to you and ensure that you have a goal that addresses it.
Most successful people have unbalanced lives because they put too much attention on one area and neglect others. Learn from their mistakes by maintaining balance and you’ll find greater overall happiness and fulfillment.
Want me to come speak to your group about goals? This is a common topic I bring to teams and workshops. I would love to work with you. (Mention this blog for a discount).
President & Lead Coach at ADVANCE